Google
 
Web emusandcows.blogspot.com
ﻈﻈﻈﻈəMű$ ʼn ©δŴ§ﻈﻈﻈﻈ

ﻈﻈﻈﻈəMű$ ʼn ©δŴ§ﻈﻈﻈﻈ

Welcome to our emus and cows blog about school life. Every effort has been made to ensure the content is correct and appropriate. We value your feedback. If you have any inquiries or comments, please give us a buzz at emusandcows@gmail.com. The team at emus and cows would like to thank you for visiting this site.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

I've been practicing the same pieces for over a year and at last my violin exam took place yesterday on November 4, 2006 at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. My examiner happened to be Valmai Coggins, who was my examiner for my previous 3rd grade violin exam. The first piece I played when I entered the studio was my list B piece, Francesco Maria Veracini's Gigue. On my report, it tells me that I rushed my semiquavers! DAMN! How could I screw them up in the exam?

The next piece I performed was Johann Sebastian Bach's Arioso and I was told I had to produce a warmer tone... which probably means improving my vibrato and placing more pressure on the bow so it's more secure on the string. Written by Gabriel Faure, my List D was Au bord d'leau, which I think in French is By The Riverside. Seconds after I finished playing List D, Valmai said "Okay, let's try an extra list with a different composer. Let's do Gossec's Tambourin." (One of my extra list pieces, the Sicilienne was also written by Faure)

Fudge, I thought. Fortunately, she cut me off before the hard part where I totally mess it up . Phew! Valmai said my extra list for satisfactory, which means it was okay.... but not excellent. After the Tamborin, I did my Technical Work. Valmai does almost every scale and arpeggio when it comes to Technical Work. I did quite well in my sight reading and I achieved 3.5 marks out of 4 in my aural tests.

The final part of my exam was the General Knowledge part, the part of the exam that I usually hate because I didn't do well in my piano exam a fortnight ago. But, it turned out to be good. The questions she asked were:

  • GIGUE: What is a gigue? A lively dance which is usually in compound time.
  • GIGUE: What period was the gigue in? Baroque
  • ARIOSO: What is an Arioso? It means song like or air like.
  • AU BORD DE L'EAU: What does Andante quasi allegretto mean? Andante means walking pace, quasi means nearly or almost and allegretto is a moderate tempo (speed)
  • AU BORD DE L'EAU: What does perdendosi mean? To die away in volume, rhythm and tone.
  • AU BORD DE L'EAU: What period was this piece in? Late romantic.
  • SLAVONIC DANCE: What period was this piece in? Romantic
The exam was over. The envelope with the results were handed to me and I left the studio. I scanned the results and I was happy to know I got an A (honours). I don't think I deserved an A, I was thinking I would be awarded C+ or B. I know I haven't been practicing enough and I did a bad job on the Gigue and the Au Bord De L'eau.

I'm still not pleased with my music results this year. I got a B in my eighth grade piano, a B in the grade five theory and my first A this year in my violin examination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Google
 
Web emusandcows.blogspot.com